Chelo Kebab is considered the national dish of Iran. Very few ingredients are needed to make this simple but wholesome combination of rice and kebabs.
- Mine beef or lamb 1/2 kg.
- Onions (chopped) 2
- Tomatoes 4
- Salt 1/2 tsp.
- Black pepper 1/4 tsp.
- Rice 2 cups (soak in water for half an hour)
- Butter 4 tbsp.
- Saffron 1/8 tsp.
- Milk 2 tbsp.
- Chop meat, onions, salt and black pepper well in the chopper.
- Leave in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Press the meat around long, thick metal skewers and shape evenly.
- Thread whole tomatoes on another skewer.
- Grill each side for about five minutes, turning frequently.
- If skewers are not available for barbecue, kebab can be shaped into long, thin portions on aluminum foil and grilled at high temperature in the oven.
- Boiled the rice with salt till done.
- Strain and put them back in the pan.
- Add saffron in milk.
- Mix and put on top of rice.
- Cover and cook on a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Take out in a dish.
- Put a teaspoon of butter on top.
- Serve with grilled tomatoes and kebab.