Chelo Kebab is considered the national dish of Iran. Very few ingredients are needed to make this simple but wholesome combination of rice and kebabs.
- Mine beef or lamb 1/2 kg.
- Onions (chopped) 2
- Tomatoes 4
- Salt 1/2 tsp.
- Black pepper 1/4 tsp.
- Rice 2 cups (soak in water for half an hour)
- Butter 4 tbsp.
- Saffron 1/8 tsp.
- Milk 2 tbsp.
- Chop meat, onions, salt and black pepper well in the chopper.
- Leave in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Press the meat around long, thick metal skewers and shape evenly.
- Thread whole tomatoes on another skewer.
- Grill each side for about five minutes, turning frequently.
- If skewers are not available for barbecue, kebab can be shaped into long, thin portions on aluminum foil and grilled at high temperature in the oven.
- Boiled the rice with salt till done.
- Strain and put them back in the pan.
- Add saffron in milk.
- Mix and put on top of rice.
- Cover and cook on a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Take out in a dish.
- Put a teaspoon of butter on top.
- Serve with grilled tomatoes and kebab.
Bun Kebab are sandwiches generally available as street burgers in Indo-Pakistan. They are prepared with a mixture of daal and mince and eaten with green chutney.
Ingredients for Kebab:
- Channa Daal 2cups
- Red chili crushed 2 tsp.
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp.
- All spice powder 1/2 tsp.
- Salt 1 1/2 tsp.
- Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp.
- Onions 2
- Green chilies 3
- Coriander leaves 3 tbsp.
- Eggs 4
- Oil 1/2cup
Ingredients for making bun kebab:
- Buns 10
- Green chutney 1cup
- Onions 2 cut into thin slices and wash with little salt
Method for kebab:
- Boil daal with crushed red chili, all spice powder ,1 onion,cumin seeds, salt and ginger garlic paste till it gets tender and water dries up.
- In a chopper process boiled daal, 1 onion, green chilies and coriander leaves.
- Mix well.
- Make round kebabs.
- Take egg white in a bowl and whisk till it becomes frothy.
- Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl.
- Add it in the egg white and mix well lightly with fork.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Put Kebab in the pan and cover with beaten eggs.
- Fry from one side till the egg forms it shape.
- Then turn the side and cook until done.
Method for making bun kebab:
- Cut buns in half.
- In a pan with little oil heat the buns on both side.
- Spread green chutney on the lower part.
- Then put little onions.
- Top with kebab and cover with other half of the bread.
Kofta kebabs are ball shaped kebabs cooked in a wok. Mint leaves give a very good taste to it.The coal smoke gives the grilled charcoal taste. Best to be eaten with hot naans or flat bread.
- Beef Minced 1/2 kg
- Onion 2
- Egg 1
- Bread Slices 3
- Ginger garlic paste 2tsp
- Red chili powder 1tsp
- Cumin seeds 1tbsp
- Black Pepper whole 1tsp
- Coriander whole 2 tbsp
- All spice powder (garam masala powder) 1 tsp.
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Mint leaves (finely chopped) 1/2 cup
- Green chilies 2-4
- Salt To taste
- Coal 1 piece
- Oil 3 to 4 tbsp
- Take beef minced, onions, egg, bread slices, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, cumin seeds, black pepper whole, coriander whole, salt, green chilies and process them in a chopper.
- Take out in a dish and mix finely chopped mint.
- Now make kofta (small ball shaped) from it.
- In a wok heat oil and put koftas with 1/2 cup water.
- Cook till it dries.
- Put lemon juice, all spice powder and close the fire.
- To give a smoked taste to a kebab place a small piece of hot charcoal in a small bowl and pour few drops of oil on it .
- Cover for few minutes.
- Take out in a dish.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve with chutney and naan.