A combination of boiled rice with fried fish gives us a relishing and a crispy taste.Underneath the crispy skin of the silver bream comes the soft and tender mouthwatering white meat which has an enticing aroma for sea food lovers . This would be the perfect meal if you are holding an afternoon lunch at your place.
- Fish whole (Silver bream) 1 kg.
- Vinegar 3 tbsp.
- Salt 1 tsp.
- Chili powder 2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp.
- All spice powder (garam masala powder) 1/2 tsp.
- Red chili crushed 1 tsp.
- Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp.
- Oil for frying
- Boiled rice to serve with the fish
- In a bowl make a marination by mixing vinegar, salt, chili powder, turmeric powder,all spice powder, red chili powder,ginger garlic paste.
- Mix it.
- Rub this marination paste on the fish.
- Leave it to marinade for at least 2 hours.
- Now in a pan heat oil and shallow fry the fish from both the sides till done.
- Serve with boiled rice.
Biryani is such a versatile dish which can be cooked with numerous combinations of rice, meat, potatoes and a whole lot of spices. It originated in Perisa (modern Iran) but is now available in almost all south-asian countries with their own native versions.
- Chicken 1 kg
- Potatoes 4 cut into large pieces
- Tomatoes 6, quartered
- Green chili paste 2tsp
- Onions 4 medium, finely sliced
- Mint and coriander leaves 1cup, finely chopped
- Green chilies 6 whole
- Ginger-garlic paste 1, 1/2 tbsp
- Dried plums 1 cup, soaked in hot water.
- Red chillies 1 tbsp, powdered
- Coriander 2 tbsp, powdered
- Salt to taste
- Yogurt 1cup
- Oil 1cup
- Lemon juice 2
Ingredients for rice:
- Sela rice 1 kg, soaked for 4-5 hours
- Salt 2-3 tbsp or to taste
- Cloves 6
- Whole black pepper 8
- Cinnamon 1/2 inch piece
- Black cardamom 2
- Black cumin 1/2 tsp
- Yellow food colour a pinch
- Milk 1/2cup
- Kewara 1/2 tsp
- Oil 2tbsp
- Combine chicken with yogurt, ginger-garlic paste,green chili paste, red chili powder lemon juice and salt.
- Mix well and set aside for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions till golden brown.
- Spread half of it on the absorbent paper.
- To the remaining half in the pan add the marinated chicken and tomatoes.
- Cook on low flame, do not add water.
- When the liquid dries , add potatoes, plums and 1glass water.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or till the potatoes are tender.
- Boil the rice with cardamoms, black pepper, cloves and salt.
- When the rice is half done drain in a strainer.
- Put a little oil in the base of pan and make a layer of half the rice.
- Then put a layer of the prepared curry, green chilies, coriander and mint leaves.
- Cover with a second layer of rice.
- Pour in warm milk,kewara and sprinkle food color and fried onions on top of it.
- Cover tightly and steam on very low flame for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with raita.
This oriental dish combines fried prawns with green chilies in hot sauce. Best with egg fried rice or plain steamed rice.
Ingredients for marination:
- Prawns 1/2 kg.
- Soy sauce 1 tsp.
- Salt 1/4 tsp.
- Black pepper 1/2 tsp.
Ingredients for batter:
- Egg 1
- All purpose flour (maida) 2 tbsp.
- Corn flour 2 tbsp.
- Baking powder 1/2 tsp.
- Salt 1/4 tsp.
- Water as required
- Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for sauce:
- Oil 1 tbsp.
- Ginger and garlic crushed 1 tsp.
- Chicken stock 1 cup
- Soy sauce 2 tbsp.
- Chili sauce 3 tbsp.
- Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp.
- Chicken powder 1 tsp.
- Green chilies 8
- Corn flour (dissolved in water) 2 tbsp.
- Spring onions for garnishing
- Marinade the prawns with soy sauce,salt and black pepper for 15 mins.
- In a bowl take egg, flour,corn flour, salt,baking powder and make batter adding required amount of chilled water.
- Now dip the prawns in the batter and deep fry them.
Method for sauce:
- In a pan heat oil.
- Fry chopped ginger and garlic.
- Add chicken stock and cook till it starts to boil.
- Now add soy sauce,chili sauce,chicken powder and black pepper.
- Put corn flour to make it thick.
- Add fried prawns.
- Take out in a dish garnish with spring onions.
- Serve with noodles or fried rice.
Another oriental recipe created with sliced chicken breasts combined with a choice of crunchy vegetables cooked in thick oyster sauce. Tastes good with egg fried rice as well as with egg noodles .
- Boneless chicken cut in cubes 1/2 kg
- Carrot cut in cubes 1
- Onion cut in cubes 2
- Cauliflower 1
- Green chillies 2-3
- Oyster sauce 6 tbsp
- Soy sauce 2 tbsp
- Chicken stock 1 cup
- Corn flour 2 tbsp dissolve in water
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Ginger 1tsp
- Garlic 1tsp
- Chicken powder 1tsp
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Fry the vegetables for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Take them out in a dish.
- In the same pan add ginger and garlic fry for few seconds.
- Then add chicken cook till it changes its colour.
- Add chicken stock.
- When its starts to boil add oyster sauce, soy sauce and chicken powder.
- Then put all the vegetables.
- Add corn flour to make it thick.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
Scrambled eggs on a bed of potatoes garnished with coriander leaves not only looks appetizing but even tastes excellent with bread.
Ingredients for egg:
- Eggs 5
- Coriander leaves 2tbsp
- Green chillies 3
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper 1tsp
Ingredients for potatoes:
- Potatoes 4
- Red chili powder 1tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2tsp
- Oil 2tbsp
- Green chillies 2chopped
- Coriander 1tsp
- Add oil in a pan.
- Then add potatoes,red chili powder,cumin seeds,salt,green chillies,coriander and 1/2 cup water.
- Cook till the water dries and potatoes are tender.
- In a bowl take eggs.
- Add salt,black pepper,green chillies,coriander leaves and few drops of water.
- Whisk it.
- In a frying pan heat oil.
- Pour the egg mixture in it.
- Whisk it with the fork till the egg are cooked.
- In a serving dish take out potatoes and cover them with scrambled eggs.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with bread.
Gajar ka halwa (Carrot halwa) is a dessert made traditionally in the winter season in south asian countries like India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Main ingredients are Carrots mixed with almonds and pistachios and cooked in Desi Ghee (clarified butter).
- Carrots 1 kg (grated)
- Sugar 1 cup
- Small cardamom 8
- Ghee ½ cup (melted)
- Khoya 250 grams
- In a pan add grated carrots and sugar mix well add crushed cardamom.
- Cover and cook till water dries (about 15 minutes).
- Then add ghee and fry well for 10 minutes.
- Remove from fire.
- Add in crushed khoya and leave it for 5 mins on low heat to simmer then mix well and serve.